Remove this ad

Lead

Nov 27 10 11:31 AM

Tags : :

Hi Lads, Apologies if this has been asked before, what kind of range does the big bore 2 piece blowgun firing mini broadheads reach ? for example if i was to practice on a target 30 meters away would this be realistic ? I waiting on a delivery of the blowgun, through the back door so to speak 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Nov 27 10 12:32 PM

It will reach a lot further than that, if you're not careful!

But why?

As far as I'm aware, ten meters is the accepted range for scoring compos in just about every civilised country on the planet. We used to shoot at 15 or 12.5 M last summer but reduced it when we became aware of "International Rules". Bear in mind that the pipe length limit for an accredited score is 48", the pipe you're getting is longer than that.

Mini-broadheads, also known as spearheads, are fine for some forms of hunting but are less accurate than (my favourite) bamboos for targets. They will also lead to scratches in your barrel :(

Main things are, whatever you're shooting, have fun & improve your technique.

Blowin' Free ;) Aslan "Lion Of Narnia" Freeman

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Nov 27 10 12:45 PM

Well I suppose I'm a little excited at the prospect of getting the blowgun thats all. I'm after speaking with a few club members ( archery ) and even they are getting into the idea of shooting blowguns and I don't want to turn up with the blowgun, set up a target and miserably fail to reach it, thats all. 
I am very new to this and I will have to educate myself on the rules and regs.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Nov 27 10 12:48 PM

I am very new to this and I will have to educate myself on the rules and regs.

-soontobeshootin

You've found the right place to do that

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Dec 7 10 11:31 AM

I don't think that hitting say a standard archery target at 30 M would be too difficult. Over the summer I fired a few CS bamboos at the fan of a rooftop airco unit - maybe 30" across - at over 20 M with around 66% accuracy. Drop is maybe 4' at that range.

The most 'extreme' shot fired by a visitor to my outdoor range was a CS spearhead from a 60" magnum which went just over the backing board @ 15 M and traveled about another 25 M before chipping a red-clay roof ridge-tile (we all heard it crack!) on a neighbours' bungalow. I'd say the total drop over the whole 40 M was no more than 3 M.

btw - the airco unit was not in use. It was just an obvious target to go for when trying out a new toy!

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Dec 7 10 12:39 PM

I think that for now the word 'claimed' should be added to your statement, as even David admits to a) no proof & b) probable incapacity to repeat under more controlled conditions.

Quote    Reply   

pedro

Dedicated

#9 [url]

Dec 7 10 12:56 PM

Cold steel's big bores are pretty awesome blowgun...I can hit a paper plate at 30 meters grin
(obviously without wind)...

Cold Steel Big Bore 5+2 feet .625 Cold Steel Pro 5 feet .625 Home-Made 2m .70 Home-Made 2m .53 2-piece Home-Made 1,60m .53 Home-Made 1m .45 Home-Made 1m .35

Quote    Reply   

pedro

Dedicated

#10 [url]

Dec 7 10 12:57 PM

Cold steel's big bores are pretty awesome blowgun...I can hit a paper plate at 30 meters [image]
(obviously without wind)...

-pedro

using bamboo darts not minibroadhead...they're too heavy and short for long range shooting

Cold Steel Big Bore 5+2 feet .625 Cold Steel Pro 5 feet .625 Home-Made 2m .70 Home-Made 2m .53 2-piece Home-Made 1,60m .53 Home-Made 1m .45 Home-Made 1m .35

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Dec 7 10 1:21 PM

I think that for now the word 'claimed' should be added to your statement, as even David admits to a) no proof & b) probable incapacity to repeat under more controlled conditions.

-deadlyaslan

True.   But 275 yards is what he stated.  Then he later revised to about 200 yards with a tail wind but still insisted that he did it.  Still, 200 yards is a heck of a lot further than any 30 or 60 meters (32 or 66 yards.)

Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Dec 7 10 3:00 PM

I heard of this guy for long distance target shooting:
Bruce Bell of Wayne, NJ - Long distance target world record holder with a shot of 36 meters (about 112 feet) into a 24 cm (about 9 in.) target.
That's the size of a paper plate.

iklwa!!! Gotta love that sound!

Quote    Reply   

neondog

Ate Up!!

#13 [url]

Dec 7 10 8:30 PM

He accomplished the feat following the old rules. the same rules as StJo used to score at 42 meters. You got three shots and if one hit the target you were a winner. If you try enough times, sooner or later you'll hit the target. 

They both admitted that they were lucky shots and agreed with the new long distance/accuracy rules which state that three out of five darts must hit the thee point ring of the  target or better at each step in the progression to your best distance.

Quote    Reply   

Addicted

#15 [url]

Feb 28 11 8:09 PM

The Spurlock Museum states that a 7.5 foot Yagua blowgun in their collection (they don't state the caliber) "may be able to shoot as far as approximately 325 feet", putting the range past the 100 yard mark.  Of course, later in the same sentence, the museum states "at a velocity of 425 feet per second. This is 289 miles per hour, more than twice the speed of the fastest baseball pitcher."  So even if the range claim is accepted, I believe there will be some eyebrows raised over the velocity claim (to put it mildly, hee...). 
One of these days I'm going to get around to contacting someone at the museum and asking if they can provide with the formula, test (or other means) by which they arrived at their figures. 

Here's another authority (?) on the subject of blowgun range/velocity:  "The dart flies faster than the eye can track (200-350 f.p.s.), so a stealthy blowgunner can wreak some real damage. Darts will penetrate a 1/4" plywood board with ease and a 1" pine plank if the shooter has the lungs for it."  This time I am quoting Tom Gaylord, an airgun writer who publishes a daily column.  The quoted 1/4" figure for penetration on quarter-inch plywood is something many blowgunners have probably witnessed or accomplished, so no eyebrow-raising there, I think.  As for the pine penetration... I've heard independent reports of penetration on 1/2" pine plank being achieved with heavy "coat hanger darts".  Has anybody here punched a dart through an inch of pine?  It doesn't sound impossible to me, with the right sort of dart (heavy, slender, sharp, and stiff), a long barrel, and good lungs/technique.  But it doesn't sound easy, either...

Moving on to Gaylord's velocity figures:  here again we have velocity numbers quoted by an authority (?) on the subject which would tend to raise eyebrows around here.   I don't really have a problem, myself, with the 200 fps end of the speed range which Gaylord "claims", although I know some blowgunners are skeptical of surpassing the "200 fps barrier".  But I think even I would be shocked (although pleasantly shocked) if I witnessed someone using their lungs to launch a blowgun dart/pellet at 350 fps.  Even 300 fps would kinda stun me.  250 fps would only mildly surprise me.

Now, I still haven't got to Gaylord's claim for blowgun maximum range, which is contained within the following quote:  "There's a huge variety of blowguns available on the internet today. There are big-bore guns, guns that will shoot 440 yards (almost as far as a diabolo pellet!) and all sorts of dart types, plus paintballs." (the bold type was Gaylord's emphasis, the underlined part is my emphasis)

So there you have it:  a claim of 440 yards range with a blowgun....
that should give us something to talk about for awhile.... hee hee....
Bonus points to anyone who writes/comments to ask Tom Gaylord if that was with a tail wind... heee...

I think it is possible, since he mentions the "huge variety" of types of blowguns, that Gaylord was referring to launching darts with a CO2 attachment for a blowgun, in which the shooter's lungs contribute NOTHING to propelling the dart.  (Instead, the shooter's breath triggers a valve that releases a burst of CO2.)  Even with a CO2 blowgun (if it can still really be called a blowgun) I'm not sure how easy it would be to reach 440 yards, unless you used fairly heavy darts.

By the way, none of this is intended to pooh-pooh the idea of somebody being able to achieve surprisingly long shots and extended ranges (with lung power alone) by dint of practice, natural ability, and/or specially designed blowgun and/or darts.  In newspaper articles from the 1800s, I've seen at least one writer report that "indigenous" blowgunners could shoot and hit targets at about 80 yards.  Was that just nineteenth century hype?  Or is it actually a worthy challenge for us today?

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Feb 28 11 8:41 PM

The Spurlock Museum states that a 7.5 foot Yagua blowgun in their collection (they don't state the caliber) "may be able to shoot as far as approximately 325 feet", putting the range past the 100 yard mark.  Of course, later in the same sentence, the museum states "at a velocity of 425 feet per second. This is 289 miles per hour, more than twice the speed of the fastest baseball pitcher."    In newspaper articles from the 1800s, I've seen at least one writer report that "indigenous" blowgunners could shoot and hit targets at about 80 yards.  Was that just nineteenth century hype?  Or is it actually a worthy challenge for us today?

-curare-five-oh

Let's ask David Cook!  Didn't he already surpass 100 yards by far?  Where is David anyway?

Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Mar 1 11 4:00 AM

@ thunker I belive DC3 said he shot over 200 yrds.surprise

I feel it's possable as i have myself shot the CS Super stun darts at 83yrds my longest was over 100 yrds. with the CS Spear point darts
Fireing point was elevated 8 ft. the tube was elevated to 26 degs.(brought the protector n forgot the crony) Im hoping to try again with some "spoke" darts
I know if theres no pics it did'nt happen grin i get my new phone soon so hopefully can post some pics.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Mar 1 11 7:57 AM

@grizz - that's what I meant when I said "by far"...   I think he said 250 or  275 yards and then reduced it and said he had a tail wind.  Never say never but that's sure a long ways.....wink

Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote    Reply   

Addicted

#19 [url]

Mar 1 11 11:42 AM

Grizz, thanks for the angle of elevation measurement, that is good to know.  Angle  of elevation for max range should be somewhere between 30 and 45 degrees...

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Mar 1 11 12:34 PM

From what I was taught in physics at Tulsa University, the maximum elevation for maximum range - in theory (no air drag, etc) is 45 degrees.  Anything more and the projectile will arc up higher but fall short of the 45 degree range.  Anything less and the projectile hits the ground short of the 45 degree range before expending all it's available energy.

Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help