Remove this ad

#102 [url]

Mar 17 11 2:45 AM

Ruu you have the screen just build a frame that fits the window and screen it then open the window and screen and put your blind in it no need to cut the screens and upset the wife I use clear plastic on a frame this way i can shoot through it (AG) and not lose my heat and the birds think the window is shut lol

Quote    Reply   

#103 [url]

Mar 17 11 4:45 AM

Ruu you have the screen just build a frame that fits the window and screen it then open the window and screen and put your blind in it no need to cut the screens and upset the wife I use clear plastic on a frame this way i can shoot through it (AG) and not lose my heat and the birds think the window is shut lol

-grizz827

I really like your plastic window idea!  However, the weather is getting better.  Next fall and winter, I will try the "clear plastic in a frame".  My initial thinking with the cutting of the screen was "readiness."  i get up at 4 in the morning to get ready for work.  Sometimes I hit the flood lights in the backyard to check things out.  If you-know-who (possum) was there ... up goes the window, "PUFF", bam!
That never happened.  Your idea for an additional window screen with frame makes good sense. I was just being thriftygrin.  I'll put together the additional window screen and store it close by.
thanks
Ruu 

iklwa!!! Gotta love that sound!

Quote    Reply   

#104 [url]

Mar 17 11 6:35 AM

lol last time my wife cought me cutting one of "her" screens well lets just say i still have one nut sad Change out your flood bulbs with red bulbs they cant see the light

Quote    Reply   

#105 [url]

Mar 28 11 9:54 AM

I liked the idea of milk jug cones. But mine were coming out to brittle. So i tried using the plastic from laundry detergent bottles and got a stiffer and stronger cone. they seem to give me a better flight and a good grouping. I'm using bamboo skewers and pine dowels for my shafts.This is for my cs 4footer.Having a good time shooting at targets for now.harder to cut the plastic on these toe get right caliber, plastic is a little thick.

Quote    Reply   

#106 [url]

Apr 14 11 4:10 PM

fishing line, a great start, I might go for that one with my leftover glass fiber rods sticking it in with some pu glue and drilling a hole with something really thin like a 0,5mm drill or maybe an improvised drillbit.

Proud ZBPC member Fire! Aim! Ready!

Quote    Reply   

#108 [url]

Jun 8 11 9:13 AM

Yes fast to construct/ put together, dirt cheap, should be very accurate. Lethality? They are somewhat same as wire dart. Now with poison they would fair well I guess, and these guys are really experienced.

Quote    Reply   

#110 [url]

Jun 8 11 9:27 AM

Yeah, amazing how he made that bg. I believe it takes great patience, and imagine making a mistake and having to discard the pipe. Man that would be painful.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#111 [url]

Jun 8 11 9:31 AM

yes it would. i have great respect for anyone who is even capable of making that bg from natural materials cause there's no way i'd have the patience. i'd rather buy some aluminum tubing or get my debit card and click away...

4ft cold steel 625 pro 5ft homemade 625 5ft cold steel 625 pro (2) 6ft homemade 625 (2)

Quote    Reply   

#113 [url]

Jul 4 11 6:22 PM

For those who are interested in making sabots or multi-darts, I happened to notice that Chapstick caps work well with 0.625 blowguns. They fit snugly and propel cone-less darts rather efficiently. Anyone else have any ideas regarding sabot systems?

"If you have nothing to say, say nothing." - Mark Twain

Quote    Reply   

Addicted

#116 [url]

Jul 26 11 7:27 PM

For those who are interested in making sabots or multi-darts, I happened to notice that Chapstick caps work well with 0.625 blowguns. They fit snugly and propel cone-less darts rather efficiently. Anyone else have any ideas regarding sabot systems?

-doubleareseven

Here's some threads dealing with sabots for .625 cal as well as other calibers...

http://blowgun.lefora.com/2010/01/18/easy-to-make-sabots/
This shows several different kinds of sabots.  One that's very easy to make if you've already got Cold Steel blowgun and darts is to fasten a couple of the orange cones together, as shown in the thread.  In fact, Cold Steel apparently liked the idea so much they adopted it for use in their "Multi Dart".  A sabot can also be as simple as a cone rolled from paper or film.

http://blowgun.lefora.com/2009/11/07/neat-new-blowgun-prototype/  This thread shows/describes using the sabot to launch steel pellets.

http://blowgun.lefora.com/2010/06/17/sabots-that-scream/

http://blowgun.lefora.com/2011/01/09/my-sabot-holy-grail/

The last link shows sabots made by cutting down plastic shotgun wads.  Out of the various brands I've tried so far, I like Remington the best overall.  A 20 gauge wad will fit a .625 caliber barrel, but it will be a bit loose.  I would not recommend using the shotgun wad sabots with Cold Steel's mouthpiece--there is a danger the sabot could get sucked out backwards if you accidentally inhale at the wrong time.  If you install a crossbar safety, the sabots can be muzzle loaded.

I will have to try the Chapstick cap idea...

Quote    Reply   

pelletor

Addicted

#118 [url]

Sep 7 11 6:25 AM

Geeeees what a post this is!  

Such delicious information here,  the references to other threads with more information that leads to others with even more info and links!    I'm sitting at my computer almost bursting with anticipation as I discover how much information there is available, like "sabots that scream"  WOW!  

Quote    Reply   

pelletor

Addicted

#120 [url]

Oct 15 11 9:40 AM

Somewhere in the recent past I asked the forum members how to center a wire in a cone and Pgandy responded with a technique he uses which makes a "donut" by rolling a strip of paper 3/32" wide by ~8.5" long printer paper around the shaft of the wire which then acts as a guide and 2nd reference point in the cone for centering.

I tried that technique and it worked so well (thanks Pgandy) I wanted more paper guide "donuts" but also wanted to eliminate the required careful technique of rolling each individual "donut" guide.   To that end I used one piece of newspaper ~8.5" long by ~ 6" wide rolled onto a wire "mandrel", in fact the same wire I use as dart material so the hole in this paper tube would match the wire dart shafts perfectly.

I wet the leading edge of the newspaper with plain water so it would stick to the wire and rolled one layer that way then I "painted" the remaining newspaper with a 50/50 mix of PVA ( Elmers GlueAll)  and water then rolled the remaining newspaper on to the wire.  I waited for most of the outer layers to dry but before the inner portion dried to pull the wire out of this tube made of newspaper and PVA glue.

The picture below (see the top left picture insert) shows the original "donut" guide mounted on a wire ready to be slid down into the cone (I have used hot glue and lately Gorilla Glue to hold it all in place) .  The top right insert picture shows the end cut of the newspaper tube and the main picture shows the newspaper tube ( now only ~ 4.5" long) and the wire used as the mandrel and dart.  To get a new "donut" guide I slide the wire into the end and slice off a piece as needed using the Exacto knife or the "scalpel" shown to the right.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help