Remove this ad

#81 [url]

Mar 11 11 7:34 PM

Nice set of wire darts there, looking deadly alreadygrinLooking forward to your new set of broadhead darts. Can see that you are also into making your own cones, paper cones are sweet, been using the evclusively for all my darts. Btw is Elmer's glue a super glue, I'm using U.H.U all purpose adhesive.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#83 [url]

Mar 13 11 5:22 PM

I made 3 bigger broadheads with longer shafts.  These weigh 7.3 grams. There was a fourth but I broke it while shaping it.

This is a pic including the previous 2 broadhead nail darts I posted. I measured the broadheads using the digital caliper. Measurements from top to bottom are: .532", .694", .744", .773", .550":

iklwa!!! Gotta love that sound!

Quote    Reply   

#87 [url]

Mar 13 11 8:14 PM

WowHahaha, those r awesome. I suppose your blowgun is .80cal then. Those wide blades are sure going to put down any medium game within 1min with a double lung shot. Hows the accuracy, can you get 2'' groupings at 15-20feet. 
My blowgun is .625 so the widest blade I'll use is .60'' (15mm), hehe.

Quote    Reply   

#88 [url]

Mar 14 11 1:31 PM

Wow[image]Hahaha, those r awesome. I suppose your blowgun is .80cal then. Those wide blades are sure going to put down any medium game within 1min with a double lung shot.[image] Hows the accuracy, can you get 2'' groupings at 15-20feet. 
My blowgun is .625 so the widest blade I'll use is .60'' (15mm), hehe.

-josephlys

Yes, my blowgun id measures at .805".  I performed test shots with the larger .755" blade dart.  At 30 feet the dart lands in the center of the dart board everytime. However, I am still learning how to compensate for the drop.  Sometimes it lands high and sometimes low.  Still practicing.
Also, no bore scoring !!!

Quote    Reply   

Dedicated

#89 [url]

Mar 14 11 1:40 PM

At 30 feet the dart lands in the center of the dart board everytime.
-kangaru2

You should consider joining competition shooting. You'd be the first World record holder not being French.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Quote    Reply   

#90 [url]

Mar 14 11 2:01 PM

Thanks.  I would probably suck at competition shooting. 

Ruu

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#91 [url]

Mar 14 11 4:34 PM

You should consider joining competition shooting. You'd be the first World record holder not being French. [image]

Yeah, nobody blows like the French.

What...this thing? This is a walking staff officer.

Quote    Reply   

#93 [url]

Mar 14 11 6:38 PM

Thats awesome kangaru, the veering has been eliminated out to 10yards. The drop or rainbow trajectory is still what I dislike, but a heavier dart is essential for good penetration on med. game. At <20feet there is no drop, so I stick to that range to ensure a perfect shot placement.

I did try lighter broadhead darts, I used bamboo. The finished darts weighed approx 3.5g, shot straight out to 30 feet without any drop. Well maybe slightly ;), penetration is good on small game, but I wouldn't use it for anything bigger than a rabbit or pigeon. Its a small-game dart, anyways heres an ol pic

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

#94 [url]

Mar 15 11 7:17 AM

Thats awesome kangaru, the veering has been eliminated out to 10yards. The drop or rainbow trajectory is still what I dislike, but a heavier dart is essential for good penetration on med. game. At <20feet there is no drop, so I stick to that range to ensure a perfect shot placement.

-josephlys

I do my hunting on the weekends.  You know I have not been able to pull any possum into my kill zone!  The possum crawls under my fence which is almost 60 feet from my window.  My kill zone was about 40 feet.  With these heavier darts I'm setting up at 20 feet.  Still practicing to shoot 40 feet when the weather permits. 

Quote    Reply   

#95 [url]

Mar 15 11 12:34 PM

Okay guys, what about this...

A driving cone with a cylindrical cup on the front used for launching a payload of Vietnam era steel flechettes? I figure you could get 4 or 5 in a load, they can be had online for $25 -$30 per 500, and would be a devastating close range load. Any thoughts?

What...this thing? This is a walking staff officer.

Quote    Reply   

#96 [url]

Mar 15 11 7:10 PM

Webster, but you want the full payload in the heart/lung area. Little flechettes all over the animal isn't going to bleed the animal fast. I'd say a single large broadhead in the kill zone is much more effective. Plus you need razor blades for tough game.

Kangaru, I'm thinking maybe shooting over bait is a good idea. Set up your bait station <20feet, you hide behind a make-shift blind and your chances of a clean kill will improve dramatically. Put out something more aromatic to attract the opossum. Make sure you can get tight groupings, because the kill zone is only 2'', strike a bit off and you will hit bone. Bad idea to shoot a beded or crouching one too.

Here are some shot-placement anotomy, enjoy.

Quote    Reply   

#98 [url]

Mar 16 11 3:03 AM

Ruu It looks like your set on getting a steroid rat.
Heres how we do it use sardines as bait pounch some holes in can then wire it in a tree about 2 foot off the ground this makes the possom strech for the bait this moves that big leg and shoulder bone out of the KZ  and keeps his eyes off you, use a blind and move slowly And dont forget the pics devil

PS a red light will help just pratice shooting in that light 1st Get yourself a driveway alarm it saves you from sitting around waiting for it to show, mine is set up over my trash cans goes off sometimes 2/3 am surprise

Quote    Reply   

#99 [url]

Mar 16 11 3:17 PM

@josephyls and
@grizz827
Many thanks for the awesome information!  I will incorporate all the information on my next hunt. I will post pics.  Wish me luck!

@thunker54
Genius, on your "screen door as a blind" idea (from earlier posts in hunting section).  I cut an L-shape incision in my back window screen with a razor.  It looks like a normal window until I poke the muzzle of my blowgun through it.  The L-shape  cut is at the bottom center of that window screen.   The breeze blows from right to left and the screen still looks fine.  Wife not so liking it much!  I'm into home construction with 2 rolls of unused charcoal screens... Not a problem to re-screen.  I hope I don't have too.
The L-shape cut is 4" X 4".
Ruu

Quote    Reply   

neondog

Ate Up!!

#100 [url]

Mar 16 11 5:29 PM

I wish they made reversible screen, black on the inside and grey on the outside. Make an even better blind that way.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help