Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Sep 10 10 4:40 PM

here are a set of my verson of broad heads the one  thats red and yellow killed a rat so i no longer use it its kinda like a trophy i just hammered coat hanger wire flat but not paper thin then used a wheel grinder to edge and point it with a paper cone

Click here to view the attachment

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

neondog

Ate Up!!

#24 [url]

Sep 12 10 8:48 PM

try some #11 or #23 exacto on a 20" 1/8" dowel    youl get over 200fps with that out of a seven footer .62

-thehunter

Personal results may vary.

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Oct 27 10 7:42 PM

I didn't see a sub section for dart construction, so I guess this is the spot.

I honestly tried to get to more specifics long before now sry...

Photo close up tip - Magnifying glass in front of the lens of the cheapest camera is an awesome photo trick...hope it helps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had already posted a video with this dart type in it, but not a separate pic for ease or reference.

Critter Splitters
Shaft Type - Nickle coated 5/0 Lance brand Yarn Darners
Cone Type - Milk Jug
Cone attachment - Thin layer 5min apoxy
Tip Type - Multi Bladed, soldered, snap off type box cutter blades

still to this day, untested, ◄besides card board►...but they look cool, lol

REMOVABLE Harpoon attachment test.
I stress removable bc I didn't want to stick something and have the fishing line stretch, dart come out, and of coarse re-orient to my eye.

The hand grip is hollow pipe, so after you shoot, it is ment to slide over an already smaller telescoping rod placed in the ground...window sill :)...let the ground rod take the brunt of the run and pull, not your face.

Barrel fed obviously.

This link should take you to my video test if you have the right codecs installed...MP4
give it a few to load.
http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff28/MrEd1220/Blowgun/?action=view&current=100_4853.mp4

It shoots low, line drag...but still works.
Distance roughly 24ft

if you can't see the vid pls let me know as this is a photobucket first video test.

Misc Darts
1 - bamboo skewer dart, paper cone
3 - Various Broad head size tips, 1 yarn darner, 2 bicycle spoke darts 
    Cones - ◄2 milk carton, 1 wire nut with cotton►
Misc note - Laser sight mount - 2 cheap 10x scope mounts. Barrel acts as scope.

Hope some of the close ups and thing help. 

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Oct 27 10 7:51 PM

wow i love the first broadheads

Tyler age 16, Clarion Pa, 7' CS with realtree wrap w/ homemade bamboo quiver * the only time i take a second shot is if I want 2 holes * haha

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Nov 4 10 6:15 PM

Tools I use, and this is just how I do it.

The best tool I've found for notching a metal dart shaft like a bike spoke. ACE ordered it for me,
I think about $20 invested.

It really is a nice cutoff wheel. Like any cutoff wheel, if you cut slow and not force it through the metal, it will last alot longer.

A couple different torches I use. The Lenk is very cool as it uses disposable lighters you can get from the dollar store in 3 packs. I did have to stick a couple of short pieces of key stock in for some size lighters to make them more snug, but it does come with a refillable one.

Continuous use of one lighter is about 20 minutes. Small size makes it great for pocket travel to start a camp fire in cruddy weather.

ACE can order this as well.

Solder paste & solder.

If you make a jig out of a block of wood, you can make alot of broadheads at once.
These broadheads are going to be made from #5 Lance yarn darners.
The way I make these I zip off the tip of the end where you would put yarn through,
then pinch the gap closed carefully with pliers, then you can slide in the exacto blade
and the pinched end holds it for you while soldering.

The broad head blades are shaped by snapping them in two, with two pairs of pliers.

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Nov 4 10 6:36 PM

The below video shows what to and not to do when soldering.

The dart one the right soldered first still had flux on it and it cooled it down so fast the solder wouldn't and won't stick no matter how much you heat it. Wipe off excess flux., heat evenly.

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff28/MrEd1220/Blowgun/?action=view&current=100_5759.mp4

After soldering, add a cone type, and spritz with paint if needed for hi-vis.
The tip is not broke. It's stuck in cardboard to take the picture.

Various soldered broad heads.
These particular one are wire nuts obviously, but the ends have been heated and expanded to the size of the barrel to eliminate the use of cotton on the end.

This wire nut Stinger dart as I call it was an experiment. It tumbled end over end and
couldn't get stabilized. Probly needs at least a short shaft. Maybe someone will
experiment further with this style.

Quote    Reply   

neondog

Ate Up!!

#30 [url]

Nov 4 10 6:42 PM

Ok, I found 1,000 long #5 yarn darners for £26.50 here but It would be nice to fine a source on this continent. Where are you getting yours?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Nov 4 10 6:53 PM

I happen to get mine...from a factory I worked at for a short period,and I knew the place was shutting down so I stocked up.

However, I was looking this up not long ago myself and couldn't find them in bulk either. I'll try to find the name of their supplier, I might have some search links saved from back then. If it helps, us maintenance guys and a few other floor people used them in our pin vises to
clear out small leftovers in injected rubber molds.

EDIT - I knew I saved the label for a reason lol,

25 per pack Lance brand darners, size 5/0. The 25 per pack search may help, I don't believe I ever typed that into a search. The label is yellow background/w black printing with a knight figure on it.

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Nov 4 10 7:05 PM

Before I painted my tube, this is how I set it in position to test the laser sight, and I also found that the barrel had a slight bend in it I didn't know about.

A conduit clamp and c-clamp.
I have my main tubes stored by hanging from conduit clamps. It seems they bow when you just lean them against the wall.

A target shot in the house testing a dart.

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff28/MrEd1220/Blowgun/?action=view&current=100_4772.mp4

Further dart experiment ideas include:

• Night lightning the cones with small L.E.D's - It only takes 3v to run an LED but battery weight is an issue. I haven't tested mini hearing aid batteries yet, should only take 2 and they are super small.
  • I've been dabbling in electroplating with my battery charger and have considered making fancy type dart sets brass, copper and chrome plated.
  • Explosive type darts: I just don't have enough guts yet to put exploding things that close to my mouth yet, but I have considered trying to use black powder caps as ends, but they are friction sensitive, scary. :)

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Nov 4 10 7:33 PM

I don't see #5 size listed but can probly get them upon request but don't know.

It is US though, in New York.

http://www.safetypins.com/sewing_needles.htm

--------------------◄EDIT - ah yes, found it in there.►--------------------

http://www.safetypins.com/handneed.htm

Darners are long needles used for basting and darning with cotton.

Available in packages of 25 needles of one size, or 25 needles of assorted sizes 3 to 9 (3/9), and 1-10 single sizes.
40 packages (40 x 25 needles) per mille pack.
Special packaging and assortments are available on request.

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Nov 6 10 9:23 AM

great info mred ima go out a get me on of those lighter fed torches thats just what i need

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Nov 6 10 5:00 PM

That is 1 of the travails of making a custom dart Mred. It takes a long time to make 1 and just a mere second to lose it hehe. I mean if it hits a rat then I don't think you would want to recycle it.

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Nov 6 10 5:02 PM

I didn't mention it, but the red one is a refillable torch from a butane can. Besides ACE, Radio Shack

should have them also...BUT...knowing radio shack, the newer ones they carry are probly gold plated
and cost x5 more like everything else.

@ crossliner67
Edit - Ya know, I thought it was a waste also, until I set up a small assembly line, you can mass produce.

You saw the wood block for soldering many at a time, after the tips are soldered, stick'em in styro and hang it on the wall if you need to till you cone it...

Having said that...I know what you mean by loosing darts...it sucks. Also with me I'm worried if something will run over or step on it being in city limits...the junk collector in me just hates it when I can't retrieve something lol.

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Nov 6 10 5:29 PM

... also forgot to mention, cotton for a stopper is held very nice by 10yr old  Elmers spray glue.
It didn't work for what I needed at the time, but it sure the hell works now....I guess I'm glad I saved it for ten years and the can held up haha. I have not tried to glue a plastic cone though.

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Nov 6 10 5:42 PM

I didn't mention it, but the red one is a refillable torch from a butane can. Besides ACE, Radio Shack
should have them also...BUT...knowing radio shack, the newer ones they carry are probly gold plated
and cost x5 more like everything else.[image]
@ crossliner67
Edit - Ya know, I thought it was a waste also, until I set up a small assembly line, you can mass produce.
You saw the wood block for soldering many at a time, after the tips are soldered, stick'em in styro and hang it on the wall if you need to till you cone it...
Having said that...I know what you mean by loosing darts...it sucks. Also with me I'm worried if something will run over or step on it being in city limits...the junk collector in me just hates it when I can't retrieve something lol.
[image]

-mred

Hehe right man. Nice assembly line..

Quote    Reply   

pedro

Dedicated

#39 [url]

Dec 5 10 5:35 AM

This is how I make my hunting darts

Cold Steel Big Bore 5+2 feet .625 Cold Steel Pro 5 feet .625 Home-Made 2m .70 Home-Made 2m .53 2-piece Home-Made 1,60m .53 Home-Made 1m .45 Home-Made 1m .35

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Dec 6 10 9:40 AM

NIce!

I like those. Nice aim too.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help