Last Edited By: ronwiththewind Oct 19 13 5:06 PM. Edited 4 times

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

neondog

Ate Up!!

#2 [url]

Apr 21 10 7:01 PM

Sorry about the wait Sphingid, I thought this area was all about tutorials. My forms were given to me because they were deemed too small. I played with them rolling film cones for .40 caliber and have made a few fifty caliber darts with them but a bigger form would be better.
     For a fifty caliber form, I'd recommend 10 inches long with a half inch diameter around the eight inch mark. If you're going to try and turn them on a lathe, leave the tip larger than you want to and hand sand it to size.

Quote    Reply   

sphingid

Addicted

#5 [url]

Apr 21 10 7:18 PM

Ok...thankswink!  I am too busy or too tired to work on my OTHER project, so I have been stockpiling potential dart-making materials in the meantime. Just not enough hours in the daycrying!

Quote    Reply   

sphingid

Addicted

#7 [url]

Apr 21 10 7:34 PM

COOL!  We have enough thistle growing around here that I don't need to plant any...I'd probably KILL IT, anyway..haha!  I am really blessed with readily available NATURAL materials...what I need is some machine-shop time so I can start construction.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Apr 21 10 8:28 PM

Incidentally Doc Fkymn sent me 2 pieces of wire rings and a .47 cal. fukiya dart. I trimmed it to fit my .45 cal and it does fly fast and true but I find it too light for my taste.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Apr 22 10 8:41 PM

Put a bit of toy clay in the dart you can make it heavier. I prefer ultra light paper cones.
Hironori

-fukiyaman

Noted Doc F.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

May 6 10 12:56 PM

Does anyone think that it would be possible to make darts that could fit in a .40 cal blowgun at the same time like shotgun pellets? I personally think this would be very unique, a little easier than wanted, but great for really small animals.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

May 6 10 3:43 PM

Does anyone think that it would be possible to make darts that could fit in a .40 cal blowgun at the same time like shotgun pellets? I personally think this would be very unique, a little easier than wanted, but great for really small animals.

-growl

Cut a plug out of flexible foam with your barrel for the sabot.  You can make the darts out of thin music wire, and fins out of paper soaked in krazy glue.  http://blowgun.lefora.com/composition/attachment/2c1724ab33aab3072e3264b789a7a883/513334/100_1788.JPG

Quote    Reply   

pedro

Dedicated

#13 [url]

May 9 10 5:09 AM

THIS IS MY METOD

Cold Steel Big Bore 5+2 feet .625 Cold Steel Pro 5 feet .625 Home-Made 2m .70 Home-Made 2m .53 2-piece Home-Made 1,60m .53 Home-Made 1m .45 Home-Made 1m .35

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Aug 21 10 4:24 PM

Adhesives....

I'd never considered this for dart building and am still not sure it has a place, but here's some tape that I use now and then on my airplanes.  It occurred to me that perhaps there could be some application to blowguns and dart construction.
It's "Blenderm" medical tape by 3M.  I think surgeons and doctors use it.  I have a little bit and it's really stretchy but strong.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/wound-care/skin/support/product_catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U52308DL40I0NND6NR3S24_nid=Q0VG3TBT6DbeB385P3RT67gl

The MSDS sure makes it look safe for any type of human contact.
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSuUn_zu8l00x4xt9nx2B5v70k17zHvu9lxtD7SSSSSS--

In the Radio Controlled airplane hobby it's usually used as hinge tape.  For EPP type foam the tape is practically an instant seal.  Once stuck on you don't try to pull it back off.  If you need to re-do it you just cut the tape and put new on over it.  Works well on most every type of foam I've tried it on though so far - even the basic Styrofoam.

Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Aug 22 10 12:16 AM

Provided the surface is smooth, it would likely make a great cone-sealing tape.

-david_cook3

Hey DC3 I emulated your style of polishing the insides on my BGNW blowgun and it certainly has more sheen right now. I attached a 2.5' carbon fiber rod to my Hitachi drill w/ a cloth at the tip swabbed in polishing compound, shoved and revved it up where the sun doesn't shine (oh hehe) and presto my BGNW has a much2x better bore now. You see my imported barrel came to me defective like a trickle of acid passed thru the bore but now it is as smooth as a baby's butt u umm. Before doing this I tested it on a local 4" aluminum tube and it passed w/ flying colors. Alright man! Hey how are you doing btw?

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Aug 22 10 10:33 AM

Hehe, yeah the mandrel polishing trick is a great way to drop the COF in your blowgun. Im doin great, besides the obvious lack of blowguns (or any guns for that matter), my gf lives in the same building, class sched looks good too.

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help