Remove this ad

#43 [url]

Feb 9 10 10:16 AM

Dunno if this is real or fake, but if it's real I'll bet that pilot needed some fresh Depends....

And here's one that made the pilot sink to his knees and cry.  That was like a $60,000+ airplane.

Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Feb 10 10 1:15 PM

Here are a couple of photos of the full-size Pietenpol project that I'm working on that I mentioned a few days ago.  I took these photos last spring, note the lack of snow on the ground.  I placed the parts up against my trusty, rusty old Volvo for perspective of the size of the parts.  This is all that I have done for now, due to a lot of home renovation projects taking priority over airplane building.  I hope to get back to the airplane soon, once I get the parts for my bandsaw and get it up and runningn again.

Click here to view the attachment

Billy

Quote    Reply   

#45 [url]

Feb 10 10 2:00 PM

Cool!  Keep'em coming as you get'em Billy.  I assume you're already a licensed pilot?
I took my Magpie back up today.  Stuck my trust old HP R707 camera in the camera mount just to see how it would do.  I learned that you don't tilt it down nearly as much as you think you should - got some good footage of the ground!  LOL.  Quality wasn't to swift either but heck, that camera wasn't DESIGNED to shoot video.

It weighed in about 42 ounces flight ready and I was pretty shaky on the take-off.  Needed a lot of down elevator but once I got it trimmed in it flew very nicely.

The way I was bouncing around on the lift off I can't even IMAGINE flying a full sized one!  HA!

What will your covering be?  Cloth?  Pardon my ignorance - I know very little about full sized airplanes.

Hey - I don't recall if I ever posted my flight in the B-17 Liberty Belle a while back.  What a blast. Flying Fortress?  I think not - at least defensively!  It's a flying beer can!  But it sure had guns everywhere!

http://www.vimeo.com/986511

Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Feb 10 10 2:39 PM

Yes Thunker, I am a licensed pilot but it's been a few years since I've done any flying (other than R/C).  I'll need to get my medical certificate renewed, and do some refreshing with a certified flight instructor prior to flying my plane when it's completed.  I'll try to upload more photos when I have more of the construction done.

And yes, the covering will be fabric.  It's actually Dacron, which is glued to the airframe parts and then shrunk tight with an ordinary clothes iron.  After that, it is painted.  Some guys use real aircraft dope, some use automotive paint with flex additives, and some just use ordinary latex house paint.  I'll probably go the latex house paint route, as it seems to have the best qualities as far as durability, ease of application, clean up, non-toxicity, cost, and ease of availability. 

I had done a lot of R/C flying prior to starting my flying lessons, and that helped immensely.  I already had a firm grasp of what the controls did to affect the flight of the plane, something which my instructor said was uncommon with most of his other students.  For instance, I knew that it was the throttle which makes a plane climb, NOT the elevators as most people think.  The elevators actually control the PITCH and therefore the SPEED of the plane.  I soloed after only 9 hours of instruction, the second lowest of any person that my instructor had taught at the time. 

My instructor said that he had briefly tried R/C flying, but could never get the hang of it.  He said that he couldn't maintain his orientation with the plane while he was standing on the ground.  He thought that flying real airplanes was much easier than flying R/C, and that anyone who could fly and R/C plane certainly had an advantage when learning to fly the real ones.

Billy

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Feb 10 10 5:10 PM

Thanks for the info Billy.
I have a buddy who, unfortunately had give up flying recently due to his eyesight, that was also a "real" and a R/C pilot.  He'd had decades in the field from sailplanes, boats, cars, etc.  He said that the worst people in the world to try to teach R/C flying to was a "real" pilot.  Just for the reason you cited - orientation.  He said that going from R/C to real was a whole lot easier.  Man I tell you, back in the "olden" days I don't know how those dudes EVER learned to use the sticks.  Lots and lots of building and repairing I'll bet.  I'd have never made it without the flight simulator.  Sure is easy to repair a virtual plane with a button punch! grin

Speaking of sticks - I have one of the very first "controllers" and it didn't even HAVE "sticks" - had toggle switches.  Have some of the relays too and they are massive - linear types.  I'll bet they weight 6 ounces each.  I'll attach a picture.

Here's the flight I took with the Magpie today from my head camera view.  You can sure tell I'm still a beginner - watch me wobble after lift off for a while until I kind of settle in and trim it in better.  Unlike my little slow sticks and small corsair, this plane has such a great airfoil that it needs very little up elevator to, as you point out, get it to rotate.  She just does it all on her lonesome.  In fact a little tap down doesn't hurt!

http://www.vimeo.com/9363155

Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Feb 12 10 7:31 PM

Took my Magpie out for another test flight today.  Starting to get the hang of it more now.  Man how I would like a really good HD camera for this.  The HD Hero series is looking better and better.
This is just the view from my head cam though - although I had three different cameras on board the airplane too - one fore, one aft and my old trusty HP R707 in the camera bay shooting left and forward.
Sure is a nice flying airplane.  Landing wasn't so swift though.

Billy - man I guess I'm still such a newbie (only about 2 years) but I just don't see how you can NOT go out and fly your RC birds!  Man it's sooo relaxing for me.
http://www.vimeo.com/9414485

OK - here's my on-board HP R707 view.  I know - it's not so good quality.  This camera is designed to be a still camera and is years old.  I'm surprised it does as well as it does on video.  Only 320x240 30FPS though.  But here's the video it caught!
http://www.vimeo.com/9412051

Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#51 [url]

Feb 12 10 9:59 PM

Just haven't had the urge to go out and fly them, Thunker.  I guess other things in life have taken priority, now that I'm married and have my family to look after and take care of.  And living in Illinios, I haven't really met anyone who is into the R/C thing.  I find that REALLY ironic, as I live only 6 miles from Tower Hobbies which is one of the largest mail-order hobby shops on the planet.  I've been out to the flying field near Tower's headquarters and watched a few guys flying out there, but even that was not enough to rekindle my desire to charge up my batteries and buy a fresh jug of fuel.  I do tend to go in cycles with my hobbies, which is why I haven't sold any of my R/C birds or gear.  Someday, I will get the urge again...

Billy

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

Feb 13 10 10:16 AM

Billy,
Oh yeah - I've bought probably 90% of my stuff from Tower.  They aren't the cheapest around but their inventory is amazing.  Seems every time I go into one my my LHS's around town here they never have what I need.  The only thing I'd do different is not go Futaba for the radio gear.  I got it at Tower and it works great - I've never had a single glitch with it.  But the darned receivers for it cast me $100 a pop!  In hind sight I've have probably gone Spektrum.  Seems the market is saturated with bind 'n fly airplanes out there all DSM2 technology - although most of the guys I fly with run Spektrum and I *have* seen radio glitches with them...  Not very often though.

It's probably a good thing I don't live as close as you do to them though else my bank account would be empty!

Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Feb 13 10 5:03 PM

Unfortunately (or maybe it IS a fortunate thing), Tower doesn't have a showroom or direct-to-the-public sales office.  Everything is mail-order, so even living only 6 miles away isn't going to really save me anything if I do decide to get back into the R/C flying thing. 

My radios are a nice mix of Futaba and Spectrum, with my Spectrum being the newest radio that I have.  I like that the Spectrum isn't locked into one fixed frequency but has an adjustable RF module that plugs into the back of the transmitter.  I have a few receivers on different channels in my airplanes, and I can simply change my transmitter to match whichever frequency I want. Very handy.

I've also cut up soda cans to use for shims and reinforcements on my airplanes.  One notable spot where they get used is where the rubber bands wrap over the wing to attach it the fuselage on those plane which don't use bolt-on wings so that the rubber bands don't crack or dig into the balsa wood trailing edges.  I've also used it for heat shields, and I've used the domed bottom section to make some scale looking hubcaps for the wheels on my 71" Sig J-3 Cub.  I've probably used soda can material for a myriad of other things R/C related, but those are the uses that come to mind most readily.

Billy

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Feb 20 10 10:43 AM

I totally understand cycling between hobbies.  I've been cycling through woodworking, blowguns, amateur pyrotechnics, and airguns for the last few years.

Right now its airguns, but it'll be blowgunning when I see a new dart design that I "just have to try."

The Homemade Blowgun Association homemadeblowgunassociation.web.officelive.com Air Powered Hunting airpoweredhunting.web.officelive.com

Quote    Reply   

neondog

Ate Up!!

#57 [url]

Feb 20 10 12:59 PM

How big of a launch tube do your amateur pyrotechnics require? And do your main areas of experimentation concern colors, decibles or something else?

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Feb 20 10 6:10 PM

Here's a test flight I did today with my Magpie AP platform.  I got a new camera the other day.  It's more geared towards a still photo camera but will shoot full 16:9 HD video as well.

So I stuck it on my Magpie and took it up today.  The weather was nasty - drizzle and fog.  So the fact that it got any decent video at all is surprising.  I left everything at factory defaults for this.  If I fly in cloud/haze again I'll set the camera to the "cloudy" mode!  HA!

Mountain Models Magpie AP
Wingspan: 54" (1.37 m)
Flight ready weight: 40 oz (1.13 kg)
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FX48 w/ Leica 25mm Wide Angle Lens

Field at 43th & Garnett
Tulsa, Oklahoma
February 20, 2010
Wind:  SE 7-8 MPH

http://www.vimeo.com/9606439

Wasn't the best landing in the world.  I was intentionally flying slow for the video and got spoiled to the fact that this airfoil will float very well at slow speeds no problem.  But as some critical speed it totally loses lift and sinks like a rock!  ha ha.  So I came in too slow and stalled.  First time I've done that on this plane.  It still ended right side up with no damage though!  Just rough.

Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help