Remove this ad

pgandy

Ate Up!!

#304 [url]

Aug 1 11 7:10 AM

I think that I could get interested in RC again with the advancement of electric motors and electronics.  They were in their infancy when I messed with RC and I never liked the noise nor mess from those glo plug engines.  Rubber powered stick & tissue was my speed.  I love them.  They too have come a long ways since I built my first one in the ‘40s. 

Quote    Reply   

#305 [url]

Aug 1 11 8:05 AM

I hear its hard to fly 1. It takes skill and lots of practice to fly one of these so I've heard, or you'll have an expensive model come crashing down. 

Quote    Reply   

#306 [url]

Aug 1 11 8:15 AM

With computers nowadays you can learn on a flight simulator.  There are some that are freeware and you can get a controller that plugs in to a USB port for about $20.   I learned on RealFlight which is a higher end one, and I put in hours of practice on the flight sim before ever trying a "real" model.  If you crash there you just press a button and you're ready to go.  Then, when starting out on a real model, get a nice slow trainer like a GWS Slow Stick.  Easy to repair and flies nice and slow.  For the first few flights just fly the plane in a circle around you.  That way your orientation to the plane is always the same.
But crashing is just part of the hobby.  Without the risk of a crash there would be no challenge to flying these things!  ;-)  Usually, even in a bad crash, you can re-use most of the gear.  That last crash of my Helios F3A was a bad one and an expensive one.  That one cost me about $150.  95% of the time, however, a crash isn't that bad and can be repaired for little or no money.

Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote    Reply   

#308 [url]

Aug 1 11 9:41 AM

Yeah, I've talked with many pilots that were flying before the personal computer and asked them how they learned.  They all say "lots of crashing and lots of glue."  When I started on the flight sim I could fly going away from me just fine.  To turn left you give it left stick.  But turn around and fly back towards myself and it's all reversed.  I'd crash right away.  Finally I figured out to visualize the plane as if I were sitting in the pilot's seat.
Here's a good flight sim for free.  I think it works in a free mode.  If not a personal license is about $40.  A controller costs $20.  And you're all set to "fly."
http://rcflightsim.com/?gclid=CIfiys7QrqoCFSI55QodBktMXg

Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote    Reply   

#309 [url]

Aug 3 11 4:01 PM

I got my new motor in yesterday.  Actually I got two in, a Scorpion and a Cobra.  I'd never seen a Cobra motor and wanted to check it out.  It's rated the same power and everything as the Scorpion but is smaller and weighs less.  Also I found that I can't mount the prop adapter radially on the Scorpion like I thought. ( i.e. mount the prop adapter on the motor-can rather than directly on the shaft.)  The Cobra did come with a radial mount kit so you can mount the prop either way on it.
But, since I've had past experience with the Scorpion, I went ahead and used it.

After I got it on and did a run-up everything felt VERY smooth.  Here are a few pictures.  Notice on the head-on view you can see that the motor isn't mounted right in the center of the wood motor mount.  It's actually off-center and the mount is angled slightly down and to the right.  This is normal and is to counter the torque of the motor.

I got fancy this time too and put a pretty little aluminum spinner on the prop....  Not really functional but looks nice.

Now to get a little time when it's not 100+ degrees outside.  From what they are predicting it might be a while before I fly this thing, or much of anything!

Click here to view the attachment

Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote    Reply   

#310 [url]

Aug 5 11 8:34 AM

I have a Vimeo contact in Australia that flies electrics and we follow each others videos.  Check out this video of one of his friends B-17.  Maiden flight.  Available from Hobby King in Hong Kong for about $200 "receiver ready".   Just add your radio gear and batteries and off you go.  Even has retractable landing gear.  At a 74" wingspan and 6 pounds it's a bit much for me at this point, but who knows?.....  Someday?  Would be a big thrill for me to fly the same type of plane that my dad was in during the war...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=17203

http://vimeo.com/26811393

Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#311 [url]

Aug 8 11 9:33 PM

Here's a little flight I did with my FlyZone Super Cub the other day...  48" wingspan.  Since I don't have a separate cameraman to shoot my videos I use a head mount to hold my camera.  Of course that means there is no zooming or any other adjusting of the video during the flight.  What I see is what it sees.  So, I got to thinking, why not use the pan/crop feature in Sony Vegas Movie Studio to do "virtual" zooming.  I can set keyframes at points in the video and set any cropped portion of the video I want.  Set another keyframe further down the timeline and the video will smoothly slew between the two viewable portions.  So I can effectively do zooming in/out of the video.  Of course the downside is it's not like a real camera doing real-time zooming at high optical quality.  Doing post editing pan/crop/zoom simply crops out the outer portion of the video frame and stretches the remainder to fit the window size, so quality suffers depending on the amount of "zoom."
Regardless, for what it's worth here's my first attempt at "virtual zooming" in video editing.....  If you watch you can see what appears to be zooming in/out in this video.  For flight take-off / landing I consider my flight bag as "home."   I taxied this one right back "home" again!    Music is Monte Montgomery "Magnolia"

(P.S.  pgandy - I've been practicing my landings..  Was this one OK you think?  ;-)

http://www.vimeo.com/27416623

Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote    Reply   

#312 [url]

Aug 9 11 2:13 PM

Took the F3A out for its re-maiden flight after the bad crash on the first maiden attempt.  I was trying to fly this plane with plenty of distance and altitude to give me more reaction time in the event something didn't go right, so I did "virtual zooming" via pan/cropping with Sony Vegas Movie Studio.   So, obviously, the video was lower quality when zoomed in.  If I can just remember, I can set my camera zoom in a bit BEFORE I fly and it would be better quality (of course with a smaller FOV.)

Took me a while to work up the nerve to try a loop as that's when things went wrong before.  But I did and it was smooth as silk.  Later I tried another and it corkscrewed again.  I about lost it but recovered it.  Then I decided very quickly it was time to LAND!  ha ha...   This plane seems to need more airspeed that what I'm used to and it came in quite hot.  In fact it came in right where I was standing and I had to do a little jig to get out of the way!  heh, heh.....
But at least I got it back down in one piece this time.

Not sure what I think of this plane.  So far I really do like my YAK-54 better.  I should probably get an expert friend of mine to fly this one and see what he thinks.
Pardon the shaking.  This time it wasn't the heat or anything - I was quite nervous!

http://vimeo.com/27500113

Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote    Reply   

#313 [url]

Aug 9 11 5:16 PM

I hadn't flown this plane in quite a while so took it with me when I went out to the field today.  I often put in long flights when I fly this one because it sails around so efficiently - often 12-15 minutes.  So I usually edit out a lot of it to get it back down to around 4-6 minutes video length.  But this time I just decided to leave it all in and put up the entire flight, beginning to end, good shots and bad.  This was a shorter flight than I usually do though - around 8 minutes.

GoPro HD Hero shooting "R3" mode:  1280x720 HD video at 170 degrees field of view, and shooting 60 frames/second (actually it's double 29.97 for 59.94 fps)....      Music is Vangelis "Sirens Whispering"
So kick back, grab your favorite cold beverage and relax to some mellow music.......

http://www.vimeo.com/27509125

Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote    Reply   

pgandy

Ate Up!!

#314 [url]

Aug 10 11 5:37 AM

Yeah, I've talked with many pilots that were flying before the personal computer and asked them how they learned.  They all say "lots of crashing and lots of glue."  When I started on the flight sim I could fly going away from me just fine.  To turn left you give it left stick.  But turn around and fly back towards myself and it's all reversed.  I'd crash right away.  Finally I figured out to visualize the plane as if I were sitting in the pilot's seat.
Here's a good flight sim for free.  I think it works in a free mode.  If not a personal license is about $40.  A controller costs $20.  And you're all set to "fly."
[url]

-thunker54

I quickly got the hang of reversed controls.  When flying at great distances, which I had the habit of doing too often, I found myself too many times not knowing if the sucker was coming are going.  I generally pushed on the stick and figured it out from there.

Quote    Reply   

pgandy

Ate Up!!

#315 [url]

Aug 10 11 5:38 AM

Thunker, when you speak of your YAK model this is the plane that comes to my mind although there were various models.  Not the quite the same plane and wasn’t that well known to the west.

Quote    Reply   

#318 [url]

Aug 10 11 8:31 AM

I quickly got the hang of reversed controls.  When flying at great distances, which I had the habit of doing too often, I found myself too many times not knowing if the sucker was coming are going.  I generally pushed on the stick and figured it out from there.

-pgandy

You can have a similar problem losing orientation of which way the plane is up/down.  On my little GWS foamies that I paint myself, I often leave the bottom white.  That way if I lose which way it's oriented I can just do a roll.  When I see white I know that's the bottom.

Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote    Reply   

#319 [url]

Aug 10 11 8:31 AM

There called Yak's because of the sound you make after some of those barrel rolls [image]

-grizz827

Ha ha...  Probably truer than one thinks!

Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote    Reply   

pgandy

Ate Up!!

#320 [url]

Aug 10 11 9:08 AM

...  orientation ...

-thunker54

That's the word I couldn't think of.  Glad you guys are around to help me with my English.smile

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help