Remove this ad

Lead

May 31 17 9:27 AM

Tags : :

Here's another newbie question for everyone.  In my teens I was heavily involved with target archery and so I invested in more precise equipment to help get the better scores once my technique was improved. With blowguns, I have only seen the "toy" type blowguns listed on outdoor sites and stores.  I currently own a 5' cold steel .625 professional, and a 4' Extreme precision ct blowgun.  
What is everyone else using and when should I look into upgrading? 

Sorry for Ll the newbie questions but thanks so much for the info and advise! 
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

May 31 17 4:54 PM

targetzonesports wrote:
Well Helo Justin glad to see you aboard. Hope the Extreme .50 CT is serving you well on Target Precision.

TARGET ZONE SPORTS, Inc.

Very much so! I'm sure my skill is not doing it justice though.  Thanks for getting it to me so fast!

Quote    Reply   

neondog

Ate Up!!

#3 [url]

Jun 2 17 12:02 PM

There is not much you can add to a tube to improve its performance. If the mouthpiece agrees with you and the inside volume of the tube suits you, your biggest steps forward will come from improvements in your darts. If you're handy you can start making your own matched sets. When competing regularly, I was buying fifty caliber cones in lots of two to five hundred and then sorting them according to size (fit) using a drop test. Each cone was fitted to a standard shaft and loaded into a horizontal barrel. Then with my finger closing the mouthpiece, I'd flip the barrel quickly to striaght vertical and count the seconds it took to leak enough air to escape out the bottom. Early on I got some false results because I failed to notice a few cones that were egged slightly. A good fit can take several seconds to clear the tube.

United States Blowgun Association

Last Edited By: neondog Jun 2 17 12:05 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jun 4 17 8:55 AM

Just to follow up, I took you advise and did the drop test with all the cones I had and separated them out. I ended up with a bunch of cones that wouldn't slide at all and required a ton of air to get through so I mounted the wire end in my drill and "sanded " the cones with a finish sharpening stone until the fit was better. this made such an improvement in my accuracy and I can't thank you enough!

Quote    Reply   

neondog

Ate Up!!

#6 [url]

Jun 7 17 5:10 PM

That is why I love the slightly smaller bore size of the "Close Tolerance."  It's a lot easier to take a little off than it is to put a little on.  Another dart test that I run on mine when trying to fine tune them involves rolling the completed dart on a slightly slanted pane of glass with the cone hanging off the side. If the shaft is bent (not likely) or the cone is a hair off center (it happens) you see it right away. Had a video of it somewhere but it may have been misplaced.

United States Blowgun Association

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jun 29 17 12:15 PM

I use the CT as well. Besides matching your darts or customizing them, you will want to add some balanced weight as well. This helps with stabilization when you blow. I use electrical conduit or copper pipe cut to size. Usually in two pieces that I can slide up and down to vary the balance. You can add a foam pipe insulation sleeve if you want a thicker grip. I no longer actually grip the tube. I just rest it between my thumb and first finger. I've found that by not using any extra hand muscles and just my arm as a rest there is less chance of a twitch to throw off my shot.

Another thing you can try is to spray some dry lube into the tube. It will dry to a powder and as you shoot it will fill in any micro pitting there might be thus creating an even slicker surface for the cone to ride on.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help