Remove this ad

Lead

Apr 10 17 10:03 AM

Tags : :

You can easily make fletching for a blowgun dart from a Post-it note to use instead of a tail cone.

Crease the Post-it by folding in half horizontally and vertically. Crease by folding in the opposite direction on the diagonals.

After creasing, it is easy to form the Post-it into the desired shape for fletching.

You will need to trim the folded Post-it to fit inside the barrel and will probably want to use a little glue or tape eliminate any space inside the fletching. Use a sabot (Wikipedia, Blowgun Forum) to launch the dart.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Apr 10 17 11:34 AM

Forget the tape. You will need to insert the dart shaft into the Post-it fletching, apply glue to the inside of the fletching and press it together. Trim to fit the barrel after the glue dries. If you don't glue before trimming you will have a mess. You will probably want to put something directly in front of and behind the fletching to keep it from sliding off the dart shaft. I found some Cousin Glass E-Beads at Walmart that might work. A size 6/0 will fit on a 40 caliber wire shaft. You may need a different size or might want to use some other method.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Apr 11 17 10:11 PM

Hello Fukiyaman .Im Glad to see you are posting your new ideas! It folds into a pyramid? Very interesting ! That actually could be very aerodynamic  with the point facing backwards if I'm picturing it correctly .Also very light weight . I've always made classic arrow style straight fletching from tape , but your way puts very little weight on the back of the dart which is much better . 

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Apr 11 17 10:16 PM

Oh my mistake !It's Rons Post with Fukiyaman describing ...I really like that both of you guys(along with a couple others ) still keep the forum alive and always add new stuff. Where is everyone these days ?? 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Apr 12 17 1:29 AM

Hilltopwoodsman wrote:
Oh my mistake !It's Rons Post with Fukiyaman describing ...I really like that both of you guys(along with a couple others ) still keep the forum alive and always add new stuff. Where is everyone these days ?? 

This forum has messages from as far back as 2003. After following the sport for a few years people start to run out of new ideas and it seems ridiculous to keep repeating things that have already been said many times before.

For a while we were having a lot of target competitions but that activity has pretty much ground to a halt in this country though I do expect one to be announced toward the end of next month in Oklahoma. Maybe you have an excellent day at a competition and attain a new personal best high score. Then, time after time, you are discouraged because your scores are always less than your personal best, it seems you are not improving, and you start to lose interest.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Apr 13 17 11:23 PM

Yes, people loose interest a lot unless you're a die-hard enthusiast or tournament shooter . Many hours of practice and years of hard work are put into the blowgun and it becomes an on and off lifetime recreation or sport. Here in the states those people who dedicate time and contribute ideas,and those who practice the Fukiya style here and across the world,both deserve major credit. They make the sport what it is today. If only the blowgun sport was bigger over here  in the states . I think with these survival and war style trends going on in the country today ,blowguns could make a big comeback. Maybe if more people found the site here and a few big companies started advertising again like blowguns used to be; everyone would see a comeback. Maybe a YouTube channel dedicated to the sport ? Unfortunately it all costs so much . Blowguns could easily be as big as archery in the U.S . Here in California (yes ....yes I know ,blowgunners Hell) we have no tournaments as in above mentioned Oklahoma . So maybe my idea of blowgun popularity is state biased and not nationwide. I would love to visit such a state just for a blowgun tournament one of these days . (Pre booked airfare just got cheap with all this United Airlines stuff in the news ) If there was a once a year large scale tournament and/ or blowgun convention/expo  somewhere I think we'd all be surprised at how many people would go . Thanks for all the current posts !

Quote    Reply   

neondog

Ate Up!!

#7 [url]

Apr 15 17 2:13 AM

I've been wanting to try to find an adhesive friendly material that is just the right balance between firm and flexable to make a pyrimid style tailcone that would have the folds made to let it flatten into four fins but only after it leaves the barrel. During the shot, the material could puff open and fill the bore.

If that proves to be a needle in a haystack, then perhaps a synthetic thistle-like material that will fluff out in the bore but collapse into a sort of football shape during flight.

United States Blowgun Association

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Apr 16 17 3:13 PM

Well Neondog, of all the posts, your idea hasn't been followed through with too often.Nice job keeping it current and new !! That style of dart should be better than most of us are making if you can get it work. You might just be onto the # 1 "farthest/fastest flying" type of blowgun dart. Keep the forum posted if you do complete the dart or do a side by side comparison of darts !

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help